29-07-1899: The auction of the Ferguson & Urie stock at the Franklin Street premises.

The Sydney Morning Herald, NSW, Saturday 29th July 1899, page 11.

“Messrs. Fraser and Co., of Melbourne, advertise elsewhere and unreserved sale of the stock-in-trade in the assigned estate of Messrs. Ferguson and Urie, glass stainers and merchants.”

Related posts: (about Franklin Street)

16-04-1891 > 10-07-1891 > 01-08-189129-07-1899 > 10-08-1899 > 06-09-1899

26-10-1895: ‘Waterdale’, 56 Chapman Street, North Melbourne.

The house known as ‘Waterdale’ in Chapman Street North Melbourne was built for prominent colonial Cobbler and footwear salesman William Leeming in 1895. The house was purchased around 1970 by a branch of the Royal Children’s Hospital and is now known as Uncle Bob’s Child Development Centre. The building was classified by the National Trust in 1993 ( Place ID: 15743 File: 2/11/033/0369). There are Ferguson & Urie stained glass windows in many of the rooms as well as frosted/etched windows depicting bird life in the bathroom and walls at the rear of the house. Based on subsequent research of the 1895 period and the figurative painting style, the artist responsible for some of the windows depicting women, birds, and fruit in golden hues would have been Herbert Moesbury Smyrk who was prolific in painting with silver nitrate stain.

The photos were taken on 14th July 2011.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Building and Engineering Journal and Australasian Builder and Contractor News, Saturday, 26th October 1895.

“[…] the stained glass, which has been executed by Messrs. Ferguson and Urie. The sash frames are all fitted with transom lights, filled in with stained glass designed to suit the various apartments. The hall door leading to corridor is filled with an artistic panel representing night and morning. The front door panels and upper lights are treated in a conventional style introducing Australian bird and flower subjects. The doors and windows of the back corridors and bathroom, etc, are treated in floral and marine subjects, specially designed in embossed glass[…]”

The Age, Friday, December 8, 1972.

LIVING WITH HISTORY – Alex Macdonald.

“Cobbler prospered at last.

The Advertising industry might well consider establishing an archive to preserve the memories of some of its notable 19th century practitioners, such as North Melbourne’s William Leeming. Born in Castlemaine in 1859, Leeming started in the footwear business a few years after leaving school, and by 1885 was able to open the Colonnade Boot Bazaar at 1 Errol Street, North Melbourne. Other shops followed, and some time before 1900 he was wealthy enough to build a fine house, Waterdale, in Chapman Street, North Melbourne. The one-storey house, of rendered brick, commands a sloping site. Outside it has in good measure the fashionable ornaments of its age – stone urns, cast iron fence, verandah and roof finials. Inside, it’s decorated to a degree rarely excelled. The house is now Uncle Bobs’ Club Rehabilitation Centre, a branch of the nearby Royal Children’s Hospital. It is a temporary home for 12 children, mainly asthma sufferers, who receive medical care, schooling, physical and occupational therapy, and other help needed to restore them to normal home life. Two house mothers, Miss Nan Smith and Miss Val Sullivan, look after them. According to his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Jessie Leeming, of Brighton, William Leeming also had shoe shops at various times in Swanston Street (on the capitol Theatre site), and nearby in Bourke Street. In the Cyclopaedia of Victoria (1903), he is further credited with a business in Prahran. The Cyclopaedia devotes considerable space, and a photograph, to Leeming and mentions what must have been one of the most daring advertising gimmicks. A keen racing man, he entered a horse called Leeming’s Boots in the 1900 Melbourne Cup. It failed to prosper, but another Leeming horse, Patronus, won a Williamstown Cup. Mrs. Leeming recalls that a photograph of Patronus used to hang in Waterdale’s billiard room, where Leeming was in the habit of retiring with his men friends.

Mythical beast.

Another ploy Leeming used was to give away attractive little gifts. The china shoes, plates and toys bore his trademark, a mythical beast known as the “gazeka”. He must have distributed many of these, for when one of his descendants talked out “gazekas” on radio, the station was inundated with calls from people who owned them, but refused to part with them. Although the Leeming family left Waterdale some time after World War 1, it was still a private house when the hospital, with the help of money raised by the Uncle Bob’s Club, bought it two and a half years ago.      It was then much as the Leeming’s must have known it, and although the kitchen and bathrooms have now been modernised, the hospital has managed to retain and restore most of William Leeming’s decorative features. The drawing room, now the children’s school room, is notable for its gilded, moulded ceiling; Deep curving cornices have friezes of classical figures entwined in foliage. The archway on the inside of the bay window is heavily moulded, too, and even the ceiling of the bay is decorated. The door panels are painted with delicate 18th century figures and jewel motifs in pastel colors. Over this, and other important doorways throughout the house, are pediments of wood carved with flowers in high relief. The door fittings themselves are ornately chased and ornamented brass. Elsewhere in the house they are mostly crystal or china. In the dining room, the ceiling and cornices are not only covered with moulded details, but colored in shades of pink, green and gold. Still in its place is the fluted, curving brass gas chandelier. The former study, now the doctor’s room, is fitted with glass and mahogany bookcases on either side of the fireplace, and the billiard room too has a moulded ceiling icicle-like bosses hanging from it. This is now the children’s recreation room, and the raised seats around the edge, from which gentleman onlookers watched others at play have gone, and the marble floored lavatory attached is now a cloak room. Yet more color at Waterdale comes from the glass panels of the front door, dining room to verandah door, and hall door. Set in stained glass are paintings of birds and female figures, and more birds perch in small colored panels above each of he windows in the three main rooms.

Happy Memories.

            For Mrs. Leeming, Waterdale holds many happy memories, for as a child she used to play there with the four children of he house, one of whom, Leslie, she eventually married. As far as she recalls, the Lemmings’ entertain extensively in their grand house until World War 1, when they threw it open each week for soldiers from the big army camp in Royal Park. “They would have the blinds right down over the front verandah, and we’d dance there,” Mrs. Leeming said.      The estate included land right up to Flemington Road, and each of the four children had a horse. Mrs. Leeming remembers there was a live-in staff of groom, cook and maid. Those wee the days of late shopping. According to Mrs. Leeming, William Leeming used to bring home the takings from his shop, and hide them overnight in a secret panel next to the bedroom mantel. “I wonder if it is still there?” she said.”

The Argus, Melbourne, Wednesday 27th July 1932, page 8.

Mr. and Mrs. William Leeming, of Echo, Burke road, Upper Hawthorn, will celebrate their golden wedding to-day. They were both born in Victoria. Mr Leeming commenced business in 1884 when he opened a boot shop in North Melbourne, and later extended his operations to the city, Prahran, and South Melbourne. The “Gazeka” sign adopted as an advertisement for his wares was the striking pioneer of that form of publicity. The name is still registered. Mr. Leeming at different times owned Patronus, Charmans, Pendil, Zephe?, Periloous, and Decollette, with which he won several important races including two St. Kilda Cups and a Moonee Valley Cup. In 1899 he entered a horse which did not exist for the Melbourne Cup under the name of “Leeming’s Boots”. This is no longer possible under the amended racing rules. Mr. and Mrs. Leeming’s two sons and daughter are ???? (unreadable word)


Short link to thos page: https://wp.me/p28nLD-K0

© Copyright

19-04-1894: The funeral of James Ferguson Snr.

The Argus, Melbourne, Wednesday 19th April 1894, page 1.

“THE Friends of the late Mr. JAMES FERGUSON (of Ferguson and Urie, glass stainers) are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of interment in the Melbourne General Cemetery. The funeral will leave his late residence, Leonard street, Royal-park. Tomorrow (Thursday, 19th inst.), at 3 o’clock. ALFRED ALLISON, Undertaker, 221 Victoria street west, Melbourne; Mount Alexander road; Moonee Ponds; and Racecourse road, Newmarket. Telephone 980.”

Ayr Cottage, Leonard street Parkville (Royal Park), 1st January 1888

Ayr Cottage 2009

 

Related posts: 18-04-189420-04-1894

18-04-1894: James Ferguson (1818-1894)

From a family history perspective there is quite a lot known about James Ferguson, his family, and his colonial colonial stained glass company from North Melbourne.

I have many historical artifacts which include photographs, pieces of furniture, documents, and many other interesting items which make up a magnificent collection of colonial history as well as my own family history.

James Ferguson was born in Ayr, Scotland circa 1818. His parents were Janet Kay (1791-1860) and Master Slater & Glazier, James Ferguson Snr (1777-1886).

On the 13th of June 1841 he married Jane Williamson Lawson (1820-1886), the daughter of Gavin Lawson and Margaret Williamson and between 1842 and 1852 five girls and a boy were born in Wallacetown;
Margaret (1842-1913) who was mentally disabled from birth, Janet Kay (1844-1925), Jane Williamson (1846-1875), Marion (1848-1927) and Antonia Wallace (1852-1926). A son named James was born in 1851 but died as an infant in the same year.

On the night of the 1851 Scottish Census (30/31 March) his future business partner, James Urie, was recorded as a visitor at his cottage in John Street Wallacetown. Whether this was one of many meetings the two men would have to discuss their bold plans for the future can only be speculation but only nine months later their plans would come to fruition.

In early December 1852 James Ferguson was given a farewell party at the Robert Burns Arms Inn at Wallacetown prior to his departure for Australia.

“…After the usual preliminaries, Mr John Templeton, watchmaker, in neat and appropriate terms, proposed the health of Mr Ferguson and, in name of many friends, present and absent, presented him with a splendid purse containing 25 sovereigns…”

James and his younger brother David departed Greenock on the 12th of December 1852 aboard the ‘Tamerlane’ and after more than four an a half months at sea they arrived in Port Philip on the 29th of April 1853.  James’s wife Jane would remain in Wallacetown for two years with the children whilst James established the business in North Melbourne. She arrived  aboard the ‘Emma’ with the five girls in November 1855.

In August 1853 the first business advertisements for the company, “Ferguson & Urie”, began in the Melbourne Argus Newspaper. The rest of the Ferguson & Urie history forms the basis of this entire web site.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Argus, Melbourne, Wednesday 18th April 1894, page 5.

“The death is announced of Mr. James Ferguson, the surviving partner of the well known firm of Messrs. Ferguson and Urie. Mr. Ferguson was a colonist of about 40 years’ standing, and for many years carried on business with his partner in Collins-street near the National Bank. Mr. Ferguson died at his residence, Parkville, early yesterday morning, at the advanced age of 84 [sic].”

(James Ferguson was 74 years of age at death).

The North Melbourne Advertiser, Friday 20th April 1894, page 2.

“DEATH OF MR. J. FERGUSON”

“We regret to have to record the death of Mr. James Ferguson, the surviving partner of the well known glass staining firm of Ferguson and Urie. Mr. Ferguson was a colonist of about forty years’ standing, and for many years carried on business with his partner, Mr. Urie (deceased about six years ago) [sic: 1890], in Collins Street, near the National Bank. Mr. Ferguson passed away at his residence, Parkville, early on Tuesday morning, his death being simply a decay of nature, as he was in his seventy-first year [sic: 74]. For the past four years the business of the firm has been carried on in Franklin Street and Curzon Street, North Melbourne. Mr. Ferguson was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was much respected as a private citizen, but never aspired to enter public life. He died a widower, and leaves a grown up family. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon, deceased being interred in the Melbourne general cemetery and the cortege was followed by a large number of mourners. The body was conveyed to the grave in a panelled hearse, and enclosed in a plain coffin. There were three mourning coaches. Mr. Ferguson was buried in the Presbyterian compartment, the arrangements being carried out by Alfred Allison, of 221 Victoria Street, West Melbourne.”

Related posts:

19-04-1886: Jane Ferguson (nee Lawson) (1820-1886)

19-04-1894: The funeral of James Ferguson Snr.

1886: The History of ‘Ayr’ Cottage, 1 Leonard St. Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria.

08-10-1887: ‘Ayr Cottage’, 1 Leonard Street, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria.

01-01-1888: The Ferguson Clan at Ayr Cottage, Parkville.

04-07-1901: The sale of Ayr Cottage, Parkville, Melbourne.

19-02-1874: The Hotham (North Melbourne) School of Art.


Short link to this page: http://wp.me/p28nLD-Jf

© Copyright

10-07-1891: The Ferguson & Urie warehouse, Franklin Street, Melbourne.

In 1891 the Ferguson & Urie stained glass company were either consolidating or downsizing their operations. The earlier stock market crash of the 1890s must have wreaked havoc on many market-dependent businesses but this following information gives the impression that the company was having one last act of defiance as it consolidated all its business into one huge four story warehouse in Franklin Street Melbourne. By this time senior partner and founder James Urie had died a year earlier and in another three years James Ferguson would also meet ‘the man with the keys’ (St Peter) who had been depicted in so many of the company’s works of art in stained glass.

The Franklin Street warehouse building still exists but has been substantially modified. As at 2012 it’s known as ‘Burbank House’ and a tribute plaque affixed to the front of the building gives more recognition to the site as being the location of the first Victorian Ice-works and the inventor of the refrigeration process, James Harrison. There is no mention of the actual building as being the location of the historic Ferguson & Urie stained glass establishment whose works of art can still be found all over the eastern states of Australia.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The North Melbourne Advertiser, Friday 10th July 1891, page 2.

“MESSRS. FERGUSON AND URIE’S ESTABLISHMENT”

“The above firm is one which is known throughout the Australian colonies as the designers and manufacturers of many a handsome chancel window, radiant with the forms of saints and apostles, clad in those rich garments, which the artistic piety of the middle ages loved to clothe the Founder of the Christian Church and His disciples, while the secular side of the art of glass staining is exemplified by specimens of the firm’s work in the colored crests and historical pictures on hall windows in the homes of the wealthy colonist. The new premises are in Franklin-street, and are four stories high, being commodious and comfortable throughout. The top flat contains large quantities of ornamental glass and samples of work, indeed these latter abound throughout the building, and greatly enhances the general effect. The name of the firm is shortly to be fixed on the summit of the roof, with the letters delineated on variegated glass, which will be a novel and striking announcement. Beneath the top story is a department where sheet glass is stored and descending to the next flat more of this article is discovered, but the sides of the store are covered with some beautiful specimens of the glass stainer’s art. One of the most striking of these is a pair of windows representing “Tragedy” and “Comedy”. The colouring is faultless, and the drapery most effectively arranged. These windows would show to great advantage in the main hall or conservatory of a mansion, or in the dress circle corridor of an elegantly appointed theatre. Representations of Lord Nelson and Bacon are here displayed, and would greatly adorn a library or some educational institute. Those who have a weakness for seeing the crest of their ancestors emblazoned in rich and varied hues in their homes, Messrs Ferguson and Urie can accommodate to a nicety, as their heraldic designs in colored glass are most effective. The most interesting part of he building is undoubtedly the artist’s room, where Mr Jackson plans and paints amid representations of angels, cherubim, Madonnas, scenes from Christ’s Passion, and various other representations that give his chamber the appearance of the scriptorium of some wealthy monastery in which Art is wedded to Religion. Here all designs are drawn, and the firm’s clients exercise their choice and are informed as to estimates. The paintings are executed in water colours, and the stock of samples extensive and original. On the ground floor is the general office and private apartment for the principals. Round these are specimens and examples of what the firm can turn out, including embossed margins for door side lights and slides for large hall lamps. Plate glass is kept on the ground floor in large quantities, some of the sheets being of great superficial measurement. At the rear of the building is a bending kiln, used as its name denotes, for bending the glass. This is one of the largest structures of its kind in Melbourne, and is substantially put together. The works of the firm are in Curzon Street, North Melbourne, but it is at the Franklin-street depot that the beautiful results are to be viewed. Ferguson and Urie are household words among those possessing artistic tastes, and have been so for many years, and not withstanding the importation of several specimens of ecclesiastical stained glass from Belgium and Germany, still continue to take the lead in beautifying the churches and public buildings of Australia.”

Some of the information quoted below about the building and its history was obtained from The Melbourne City Council Heritage review document, and I have made my comments where I have doubts as to the validity of the information stated.

Melbourne Council, Central City Heritage Review 2011, page 61 to 67 (accessed 4 Apr 2012).

“HISTORIC & DESCRIPTION
96-102 Franklin Street, was constructed c.1867 as a five storey warehouse. The designer and builder are not known although it appears to have been built for Ferguson & Urie, Glass Merchants and McEwan & Co ironmongers 2. It is an early example of Italianate design within Melbourne. The building has been stripped of many of its decorative elements and now retains the form but almost none of the detail of the original design. The building is in good but considerably altered condition”

The heritage review document makes reference to the building as also being built for ‘McEwan & Co,’ but I have found no evidence of this company as ever been at Franklin street. The reference to “Keep Bros, and Wood, saddlers and Ironmongers” is correct, but this company only tenanted the premises in October 1899 after their Lonsdale street warehouse had burnt down, and most likely only in response to advertisements in October 1899 for the Ferguson & Urie Franklin Street warehouse being for rent. “Keep Bros, and Wood” remained tenants possibly until 1945 when they purchased another site in Elizabeth street.

The earliest known reference to the Franklin street site is to a “James Harrison (1816?-1893)” who pioneered the revolutionary design of a refrigerator: “In 1873 he won a gold medal at the Melbourne Exhibition by proving that meat kept frozen for months remained perfectly edible …”. A brass plaque affixed to the front of the 100 Franklin street building (currently known as Burbank House) reads:

“A TRIBUTE TO AN EARLY PIONEER
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES JAMES HARRISON INVENTOR OF THE REFRIDGERATION PROCESS AND FOUNDER OF THE VICTORIA ICE WORKS ON THIS SITE 1859.
DONATED BY THE AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF REFRIDGERATION, AIRCONDITIONING AND HEATING. APRIL 1985.”

Whether the existing Franklin street building was originally built as the James Harrison’s ice works is extremely doubtful, but the Argus newspaper article from 1891 about Ferguson & Urie’s new premises says: The new premises are in Franklin-street, and are four stories high, being commodious and comfortable throughout …”

This gives the impression that the Franklin street building was only built circa 1891.The article goes on to give the impression that the building was solely occupied by Ferguson & Urie who occupied every floor of the building with no mention at all of any business or the company name of “McEwan & Co”. Ferguson & Urie had also affixed their company name to the top of the building:
“…The name of the firm is shortly to be fixed on the summit of the roof, with the letters delineated on variegated glass…”

Additional weight is added to this theory from an article published in July 1899 during the final phases of the closure of the company. A sale notice published the following line;..The above affords an unusually favourable opportunity of acquiring one of the oldest-established businesses in the colony. The stock is large and varied, and the premises were specially erected for the trade…”

Regardless of the Franklin street buildings history, before and after Ferguson and Urie had occupied it, there is undoubtedly a more significant historical meaning to the history of the building as being one of the cities greatest artistic establishments that created many of Australia’s oldest and most historical stained glass windows which can still be seen throughout Melbourne, regional Victoria, the eastern sates, and rare instances in New Zealand.

Ferguson & Urie’s very first workshop building was in Curzon Street North Melbourne where they first advertised as being located at the north east corner of the Benevolent Asylum  in Curzon street (the Asylum was demolished late 1911) [1]. The original workshop building still exists at No: 42 Curzon Street opposite the Union Memorial Church. Advertisements for the company first appeared in August 1853 but it’s likely that the workshop/warehouse wasn’t built until after 1858 (based on information in the Drape diaries). The company’s other warehouse at “Yarra Bank South” (Normanby Road South Melbourne) was a wooden structure and was destroyed by fire on the 31st January 1888.

Related posts: (about Franklin Street)

16-04-1891 > 10-07-1891 > 01-08-1891 > 29-07-1899 > 10-08-1899 > 06-09-1899

Footnotes:

Short link to this page: http://wp.me/p28nLD-I1

© Copyright

01-08-1891: Visitors to Melbourne call at Ferguson & Urie, Franklin Street.

Oakleigh Leader, North Brighton, Saturday 1st August 1891, page 4s.

“VISITORS TO MELBOURNE Should call at the following place…”

“… FERGUSON and URIE, Glass Stainers, Importers of Sheet and Plate Glass, Manufacturers of Church Windows And Lead Lights for dwellings. Franklin street, West Melbourne …”

Related posts: (about Franklin Street)

16-04-1891 > 10-07-1891 > 01-08-189129-07-1899 > 10-08-1899 > 06-09-1899

16-04-1891: Ferguson & Urie move to Franklin Street, Melbourne, Victoria.

The Argus, Melbourne, Thursday 16th April 1891, page 3.

“NOTICE OF REMOVAL. FERGUSON and URIE, GLASS STAINERS and IMPORTERS of WINDOW GLASS, Have REMOVED to NEW PREMISES, FRANKLIN-STREET, Three Doors West of ELIZABETH-STREET”.

Ferguson & Urie are now feeling the pinch of the financial turmoil and have moved to the Franklin street warehouse.

Related posts: (about the Franklin Street building)

16-04-1891 > 10-07-1891 > 01-08-189129-07-1899 > 10-08-1899 > 06-09-1899

23-07-1890: James Urie (1828-1890)


Undoubtedly the Colonist who was the driving force behind the success of the Ferguson & Urie stained glass company was James Urie.

His business acumen and enthusiasm made Ferguson & Urie the most successful commercial stained glass company in Australian Colonial history.

The Argus, Melbourne, 23rd July 1890, page 1.

“URIE – On the 21st inst, at his late residence, Wellington-street, Flemington, James, the beloved husband of Grace Urie (and of the firm Ferguson and Urie, Collins-street), aged 62.”

The memorial photos were taken at the Melbourne General Cemetery, 27th Dec 2009.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

James Urie (1828-1890) was born in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland on the 14th May 1828, to William Urie and Jane Ferguson.

On the night of the Scottish census record of March 1851, James Urie (age 22), was indicated as being a visitor to James Ferguson’s (age 33) home at John Street Wallacetown in Ayr. Their professions were listed as Slater and Glaziers. As James Ferguson was 11 years older than Urie, the age difference leads me to believe that he may have formerly been an apprentice of James Ferguson or James Ferguson Snr.

Was the night of the census a meeting to discuss their bold plans to emigrate to Australia? Who knows! What we do know is that that their decision would cement them firmly in history as the founders of Australia’s most prolific and talented stained glass studio.

By late 1852 their decision had been made and they would set sail for Australia.  James Urie departed first and was followed a day later by James & David Ferguson. Which ship James Urie departed on  has not been established but James & David Ferguson departed Greenock on the 12th Dec 1852 aboard the ‘Tamerlane’. In a speech at the Company dinner held in North Melbourne in 1886, James Urie stated: “..it was just 34 years since he left the old country for the colony and Mr. Ferguson left a day after him”.

On arrival in Melbourne the men set about establishing their business as Plumbers, Slaters and Glaziers from premises in Curzon street North Melbourne. For a short time James Urie took up residence at the Tam O’Shanter Hotel in North Melbourne, whilst James Ferguson and his brother David found cottage accommodation in Little Curzon street.

On the 31st August 1855 James Urie married ‘Grace Hardie Young’ at the first Curzon Street Presbyterian church in North Melbourne and they took up residence in a small cottage at 28 Curzon Street North Melbourne, only a short distance from the Ferguson brothers and the business’s workshop. Between 1856 and 1882 James and Grace had fourteen children, five of whom unfortunately died as infants.

After the initial pioneering hard work of establishing the business and transforming the business to stained glass production in 1861, James took the lead as the enterprising salesman of the business and traveled far and wide to the eastern states as far north as Queensland, west to South Australia and as far south as Tasmania and possibly New Zealand to establish the company name “Ferguson & Urie” as Australia’s premier colonial stained glass firm. James was an an astute business man and had an inventive streak as well. On the 24th of October 1865 he registered a patent for “An invention of an improved and cheap method of converting Basaltic Rock into Street Flagging and other pavement”. By 1888 he had established a substantial two storey family home in Wellington Street Flemington named “Glencairn” after the name of “Glencairn Square” near his family home back in Kilmarnock, Scotland.

Outside of the business James actively participated in public life. He was a Justice of the Peace as well as a Councillor of Flemington and Kensington from August 1886 to August 1888, and Mayor of the Borough from August 1887 to August 1888.

On the afternoon of Monday 25th June 1888 he laid the foundation stone of the Presbyterian Church in Norwood Street Flemington.

On the 21st of July 1890, after a brief illness, James Urie died at the age of 62.

On Thursday the 28th August 1890 the Mayor and members of the Flemington council visited his wife Grace at their houseGlencairnin Wellington Street and presented Grace Urie with an illuminated letter of condolence.

James Urie’s funeral was one of the largest ever seen in Flemington:

“…the procession being the most imposing seen in the borough. The employės of Messrs Ferguson & Urie marched in front of the hearse, then came four mourning coaches and upward of fifty vehicles. Immediately following the mourning coaches came a hansom, in which the Hon Alfred Deakin was seated, then next in order a buggy containing the deceased gentleman’s council colleagues…”.

The Honorable Alfred Deakin (later to be the second, fifth and seventh Prime Minister of Australia) played the part as a pall bearer at the grave site.

James Urie was buried at the Melbourne General Cemetery with the five children who died as infants, and his wife Grace who died in 1899.

Table Talk, Melbourne, Vic, Friday 12th September 1890, page 8.

“James Urie, formerly of Curzon-street, North Melbourne, but latterly of Wellington-street, Flemington, one of the partners of the firm of Messrs. Fergusson [sic] and Urie glass importers, Collins-street East, Melbourne, by his will dated, November 24, 1870, and presented for probate by, Messrs. Madden and Butler, solicitors, appointed his wife, Grace Hardie, executrix. He gave her a life interest in his estate as long as she remains his widow; on her death or re-marriage the estate passes to his children in equal shares. ‘The testator died July 21, 1890, and his will was sworn at 34,808 real and £12,798 personal. Total, £47,606.”

In 2013, more than 120 years after his death, a lane-way between 17 and 19 Waltham Street in Flemington was  named in honor of James Urie [See: Photo | Map]. The lane-way is less than one hundred meters down Waltham street from James Urie’s homeGlencairn(now St Brendan’s Presbytery) on the corner of Waltham and Wellington Street.

Related posts: 21-11-1865 >19-02-1874 > 18-09-1885  > 25-07-1890 > 29-08-1890 > 20-07-1899


Short link to this page: http://wp.me/p28nLD-GV

© Copyright

25-07-1890: The late Councillor Urie, Flemington, Victoria.


The North Melbourne Advertiser, Friday 25th July 1890, page 2

“THE LATE COUNCILLOR URIE”

“Councillor James Urie died at his residence, Wellington Street, Flemington, on Monday evening, after an illness which barely extended over a week and which, in its first appearance, gave no indication or warning of fatal termination. The family of the deceased gentleman – and never was there a family more united or more affectionate – were led to expect the worst only a day or so before the end came, but it needed the exercise of true Christian resignation to enable them to bear up under the dreadful visitation. The people of Flemington and Kensington received the announcement of Cr Urie’s death with unfeigned sorrow. Outside the municipality the sad item of intelligence was discussed in terms that gave indubitable evidence of the general esteem in which the deceased was held. By the removal of a prominent public man such as Cr Urie the borough and district have sustained a grievous loss. Relatives, friends, and acquaintances have just cause to deplore the demise of one endeared to them by reason of innumerable good qualities, kindly disposition, and upright character. In commercial circles too, where his unswerving rectitude and sterling honesty in all matters of business were well known, the deceased merchant will be greatly missed.

            Mr Urie came to the colony from Scotland (his native land) early in the fifties and, after ‘roughing it’ in the usual pioneer fashion, started in trade in Curzon street, North Melbourne, and, by dint of genuine hard work, laid the foundation of the flourishing  Collins street firm of Ferguson and Urie. Some 17 years ago Mr Urie purchased the land in Wellington Street, on which his late residence now stands, and erected thereon a house for his mother. On the death of the old lady he enlarged the house, removed there with his family, and continued to reside there for the remainder of his days. The deceased took deep interest in the progress of the borough, and when the agitation for the removal of the cattle yards was begun he joined in the crusade with all the ardour of an enthusiast. For six years he occupied a seat in the Borough Council, and once held the position of Mayor. As a councillor he performed his duties without fear or favour, bringing with him to the Council table the same honesty of mind and singleness of purpose which characterised all his actions outside, His return at the head of the poll at the last municipal election may be taken as evidence of the popularity of the deceased gentlemen. CR Urie was a staunch supporter of the present member for the district, Mr Deakin, and at the general elections last year acted as chairman of the committee for the Flemington district. The deceased was a leading member of the Presbyterian Church and chiefly to his exertions and assistance is due the presence of ‘the Kirk’ in Norwood Street. In private life Mr Urie was distinguished for his imperturbable good humour, his lack of ostentation, and for general all-round ‘goodness’.

            The funeral left Wellington Street about half-past three on Wednesday afternoon, the procession being the most imposing seen in the borough. The employės of Messrs Ferguson & Urie marched in front of the hearse, then came four mourning coaches and upward of fifty vehicles. Immediately following the mourning coaches came a hansom, in which the Hon Alfred Deakin was seated, then next in order a buggy containing the deceased gentleman’s council colleagues. Crs Millar (mayor) and Barrett. The other members of the council, Mr Cattanach (town clerk), Mr McIver (surveyor), Mr Elmslie (valuer), Mr Glyn (foreman of works), Mr Ryan (borough inspector), were also in attendance. Essendon Council was represented by the Mayor and Cr Hanna, and North Melbourne Council by Cr Fogarty. Rev J. Thomson, minister, and the adherents of the Presbyterian Church, the president and leading members of the Australian Natives Association, the business people of the borough, and a number of private citizens also followed the remains to the cemetery. The funeral arrangements were conducted by Mr A. Allison, of Victoria street, in his usual efficient manner.

            Deceased was interred in the Presbyterian section of the Melbourne Cemetery, the pall bearers being Messrs James and William Urie, Ferguson, Yeaman, G. Young, Cr Millar, and the Hon A. Deakin. Rev J. Thompson delivered a brief address at the grave.”

This photo is a portion of the Ferguson & Urie employee poster kindly provided by Mrs Noelle Nathan via Mrs Valma Jean McPhail, April 2011.

James Urie, June 1887

The photo below is from my family history collection and shows James Ferguson and James Urie in a portrait taken specifically for the occasion of the company dinner held at the North Melbourne Mechanic’s Institute on the evening of the 22nd June 1887.

James Ferguson & James Urie 1887

 

 

 

 

 

 

Related posts:

31-08-1855: James Urie marries Grace Hardie Young.

23-07-1890: James Urie, principal partner in the firm Ferguson & Urie dies.

29-08-1890: Letter of Condolence from the Borough Council to Grace Urie.

External links:

‘Urie, James (1828–1890)’, Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/urie-james-14449/text2553.
(Transcription originally submitted by Ray Brown – Feb 2012)

Short link to this page: https://wp.me/p28nLD-GX

© Copyright

03-09-1889: St. Paul’s Church, Warragul, Victoria.

St Paul’s Anglican Church at Warragul is the home to two historic stained glass windows that were formerly in the old St Paul’s church in Melbourne.

The old St Paul’s, known as the Pro-Cathedral, was located on the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets and was demolished in 1885 to make way for the new St. Paul’s Cathedral. Two single light stained glass windows, depicting St Peter and St Paul, were removed in mid 1885 just prior to its demolition. The whereabouts of the windows remained a mystery for the next four years.

Both windows were made by Ferguson & Urie of  North Melbourne and they resurfaced again in 1889 when the Gippsland tabloids wrote that Mr. James Burston had purchased them from the cathedral authorities and subsequently gifted them to the Warragul Church .

The windows were unveiled in St Paul’s church at Warragul on Sunday 6th October 1889, but again this would not be their last move. The Warragul church was originally a small timber building dating from circa 1881 and was replaced by the current brick building, the foundation stone having been laid by the Hon. William Pearson M.L.C. on the 29th July 1908.

The two windows were again saved and were re-erected in the new church either side of the chancel where they reside to this day.

Photos taken 4th December 2011.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

[View larger images]

Warragul Guardian and Buln Buln and Narracan Shire Advocate, Friday 13th September 1889, p3.

A very valuable gift has been made to St. Paul’s church, Warragul during the past week by James Burston Esq., of Melbourne, of two handsome stained glass windows representing St. Peter and St. Paul.  They were formerly in St. Paul’s Pro-Cathedral, Melbourne and were purchased by the donor from the Cathedral authorities.  It is expected that the ceremony of unveiling them will shortly be performed by one of the prominent Melbourne clergy, when special services will be held.  A useful addition has also recently been made of a beautifully worked blackwood pulpit, the handiwork of Mr. J. K.. Keen, now of Mildura.  The workmanship is remarkably good, and it would be a difficult matter, even in the city, to surpass it.”

Warragul Guardian and Buln Buln and Narracan Shire Advocate, Friday 4th October 1889, p2.

“The stained glass windows recently donated to St. Paul’s Church, Warragul, of which we gave a description, will be unveiled on Sunday next”

Warragul Guardian and Buln Buln and Narracan Shire Advocate, Tuesday 8th October 1889, p3.

“The stained glass windows which we recently noticed as having been presented to St. Paul’s Church, Warragul, by Mr. James Burston, of Melbourne, were unveiled on Sunday morning by the Rev. F. W. Willcox. As the coverings were removed their remarkable beauty was revealed to the public for the first time. St. Peter is represented with the usual key in his hands and St. Paul with the sword and the mellow and harmonious colorings were the subject of much comment at the conclusion of the service. The church committee may be congratulated upon the acquisition of what are really works of art, and it is hoped that before long some of the generously-minded will further beautify the church by adding stained glass to the centre window of the chancel”.

There were a number of other Ferguson & Urie windows in the old St Paul’s church in Flinders St, one of which was the three light chancel window dedicated to  the “Prince Consort”, which found its home in St. John’s at Sorrento.

Related posts:

27-07-1885: St Paul’s Pro Cathedral, Flinders St, Melbourne, Victoria.


Short link to this page: https://wp.me/p28nLD-FZ

© Copyright